Why Does Mephedrone Make My Throat And Heart Hurt?
The use of a synthetic stimulant of the amphetamines and cathinones group, called mephedrone, not only leads to addiction and euphoria. At the same time there is an increase in systemic pressure and temperature, rapid pulse and respiratory rate associated with high levels of adrenaline in the blood. An excited person may not sleep for days without feeling tired. Such exposure to the substance negatively affects the function of many organs.
Mephedrone throat: why does my throat hurt when using meow?
People who are addicted to “salt” often come to the doctor with complaints that they have a sore throat after using mephedrone. Since its effects are systemic and affect the general condition, the organs of the mouth, pharynx, upper and lower respiratory tracts are also affected.
There are many reasons for this – a decrease in immunity, dehydration, swelling and constant burning of the mucous membranes when inhaling the drug and inflammation play a role. Against the background of the use of the synthetic stimulant, all chronic diseases – laryngitis, tracheitis, bronchitis, sinusitis, pneumonia develops. Sore throat in people who use mephedrone may occur as a result of such effects of the drug:
- Inflammation in the mouth and nasopharynx
- Irritation of mucous membranes, their swelling due to lack of fluid
- Dehydration and lack of saliva production, which has antimicrobial activity, provokes the rapid reproduction of pathogenic bacteria in the mouth and throat
- Reduction of general and local immunity, and sore throat occurs against a background of a cold
- Psychogenic effects of the stress hormone adrenaline with discomfort (constriction, lump, burning) in the throat
The main treatment required in this case is withdrawal from the drug and long-term treatment with strong antibacterial agents with a broad spectrum of action. At the same time, measures will have to be taken to increase the body’s defenses.
Mephedrone heart: why does my heart hurt when using meow?
All stimulants, including mephedrone, have a strong stimulant effect on the cardiovascular system. As a result of their use, your heart rate increases and your blood pressure rises. The same reaction is normally seen with severe stress. That is why the frequent use of this drug leads to complete depletion even of a healthy body. And if a person has had heart problems before, you can not exclude an instant lethal outcome in this case.
It is not uncommon for an addict to have heart pain after taking mephedrone. In this case, a specialist may assume the presence of a number of pathological conditions, many of which end in the development of acute cardiac failure:
- Thrombosis with blockage of the coronary arteries. Damage to the walls and inflammation of the veins, congestion and blood clotting that amphetamine causes, provokes the formation of blood clots. They break off and can cause blockage of the coronary arteries and heart attack.
- Excitatory influence on myocardial conduction system can provoke arrhythmia, tachycardia and other life-threatening disorders.
- Decrease in the functional ability of the mitochondria in the heart muscle cells due to a decrease in ATP levels (the source of energy that keeps the heart working). This effect leads to energy starvation, death and degeneration of cardiomyocytes and gradual formation of insufficiency. The process is aggravated by an increase in blood pressure and heart rate, as the heart is forced to work at its maximum capacity.
- The results of western scientists’ researches say that mephedrone helps to break the valve function. Aortic regurgitation has been detected in many addicts who have been using the drug regularly for several years.
- A number of people addicted to amphetamines have experienced inflammation of the heart muscle. And the pain syndrome is a major sign of myocarditis. The disease is difficult to treat, especially in conditions of reduced immunity.
The heart and blood vessels react particularly badly to the intake of amphetamine with other psychoactive drugs. Often addicts use the drug together with alcohol, which further increases the effect of excitement and stress on the myocardium and blood vessels. Some people try to “catch up” with energy drinks, and this is a direct road to a heart attack or stroke.
Heart pain during the use of mephedrone is often caused by a significant overload, lack of oxygen and energy for the full contraction of the myocardium.
The hallucinogenic effect of the psychotropic can also not be discounted. Therefore, unpleasant sensations behind the sternum can be caused by mental disorders in an addict, or the result of being in a state of prolonged stress. Cardiopathology can be excluded by taking an ECG and, if necessary, by an ultrasound examination of the myocardium.
- Detoxification. With its help the remains of the drug and products of mephedrone metabolism are removed from the body.
- Withdrawal elimination. Medications of different orientation are used to improve condition after withdrawal syndrome.
- Rehabilitation and socialization. Refers to the most important stage in getting rid of addiction. It is conducted by psychologists and psychotherapists. A person returns to a full life without the use of psychoactive substances.
Symptomatic therapy consists in restoring the work of the patient’s organs, eliminating unpleasant feelings against the background of mephedrone use. With a sore throat, you may need to consult an ENT doctor to eliminate the true causes of the problem. For this purpose, such remedies are used:
- Betadine” or “Difflam” or similar rinse solutions. Or any solutions that contain nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents. They are a good way to relieve swelling and are a strong analgesic.
- Dissolving tablets with antiseptic properties. They usually contain several substances that help reduce pain when swallowing, inhibit the activity of bacteria, some viruses and fungus. Also, they relieve swelling, discomfort, and disinfect the affected mucosa.
If you have heart pain, you should first have an EKG. This is necessary because mephedrone use can cause myocardial ischemia and heart attack. Other tests are also performed at the doctor’s discretion. Treatment of cardiac pathology is carried out with the following drugs:
- In case of inflammation, specific therapy with antibiotics or antiviral agents is used.
- Coronary spasm is treated with nitroglycerin.
- Pain caused by infection in myocarditis is relieved with glucocorticoids or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Beta-blockers or antiarrhythmics are used if the rhythm is significantly impaired.